Monday, May 16, 2011

Guitar Scratch Remover Instrument Polish

Introduction:  As a violin maker, and particularly as a restorer, I am always on the lookout for a good polishing product -- something that gives a good sheen to the varnish, doesn't leave residue, and doesn't harm the original finish.  I was thus quite excited to try out the "Player's Kit Instrument Polish" from Guitar Scratch Remover.  The manufacturer claims that repeated use of this polish will remove even deep scratches and since at House of Note, where I work, we deal with a lot of rental instruments, the idea seemed too good to be true!

About the Player's Kit:  The kit comprises two containers of polishing compounds, labeled "1" and "2" respectively; as well as a thick towel for polishing. There are some instructional videos on the manufacturer's website.

 Useability:  I found the labeling on the containers a little misleading -- No 1, which is pink, is actually the less gritty of the compounds, whereas No 2, which is baby blue and has a lovely almond smell, is somewhat more abrasive.  When I went to the website and watched a few of the videos to find out what order to use the polishes in, however, I found them to be more promotional than informational. 
The towel is quite large and rather shaggy, and while it is very soft, it tends to pick up benchtop debris in the form of shavings and splinters easily -- which makes it somewhat  counterproductive (I don't want to be dragging scratchy pieces of wood over a surface I am trying to restore).

I tried the polish on several instruments, with mixed results.  I used it on a couple of Suzuki violins, from the 1970s and 1980s respectively; on a Reuning & Sons from the 1990s, on an Eastman cello from the 2000s, and on one of my violas.  I tried using the blue compound first, following it with the pink; then I turned the process around.   The best results were achieved with the Suzuki violins -- they came out nice and shiny, although I couldn't detect any improvement in the scratches, even when I applied the process several times.  On the Eastman and the Reuning, the polish left a matte filmy residue which I then had to use another polish to remove.  Again, the scratches were unchanged.  My viola seemed unaffected either way by the treatment.

Conclusion:  This product was designed for use on guitars, and might very well work for use on a synthetic laquer-based finish -- this is probably why results on the more commercial finish of the Suzuki violins were more promising than on the oil and spirit varnishes of the other instruments.  I probably wouldn't be using the polish on a nicer instrument, and I would definitely find a less shaggy cloth to use it with.  However, I did have one great result -- when I tried to to polish out some scratches on the touch screen of my cell phone, they were markedly improved! 

No comments:

Post a Comment